March Into Kindergarten

March Into Kindergarten

You want your child to get the best start, so it is important to register in the spring long before school begins. You might be wondering what paperwork is required and where you can get the answers you need. Below you will find general information on kindergarten registration and requirements in Ohio.

Why Register for Kindergarten Now?

Kindergarten is a child’s first school experience. You want it to be pleasant- not last minute and chaotic. Your child needs to be comfortable with the school and the teacher. By registering your child for kindergarten now, you can be sure that:

  • All the necessary paperwork is in: You have time to secure needed records so there is no rush or problem getting the necessary information.
  • The school is prepared: Schools plan in the Spring and need to know how many teachers to hire and how many supplies they will need.
  • You know about school policies, special programs, activities, and services: Allowing you to be prepared and ask any questions you may have.

Find Your District Contact Information

City of Cleveland Residents

Program Flyers

Important Answers

Typically, schools require the child’s birth certificate, immunization records, proof of residence and guardianship records.,

Be aware that some of these documents must be notarized before submitting them to your school. Your local district will guide you through this process.

For your child to have the best Kindergarten experience, it’s important to let the school know as much as possible about your child in advance. When you complete this HELP US GET TO KNOW YOUR CHILD form, you will be giving your child’s school and kindergarten teacher a head start.

Kindergarten is your child’s first school experience. You can do much to help him, or her get the very best start.

  • Grandparents and Guardians: Your school will help you navigate the process. But be prepared to share documentation to prove custody, or you may need to obtain a  “Grandparent Caregiver Affidavit” or “Grandparent Power of Attorney” to enroll. 
  • Single Fathers, Learn More
  • Families unhoused or experiencing homelessness: additional supports are available. Ask to speak with your district’s “Homeless Liaison” at registration. Learn More 

Are you looking for out-of-school time care, child care, or preschool for younger children?

Call our Family Resource Navigator Today: 216-575-0061

If your child is suspected of a special need or has been diagnosed, please contact your local school district to inquire about additional kindergarten transition requirements or support.

Scroll to Top
Summer Hours: Starting Point offices are Hybrid Monday - Thursday, Fully Remote on Fridays.