Universal Prekindergarten (UPK)
Prepare your child for success in kindergarten and beyond!
What is a high-quality Universal Pre-Kindergarten Site?
A UPK site is a preschool in Cuyahoga County’s award-winning program to help 3-5 year olds access a high-quality prekindergarten program. Only those preschools rated three stars or higher in Ohio’s Step Up To Quality system meet our higher gold standard of quality.
UPK Preschools meet these high standards and many others:
- Teachers hold higher education credentials.
- Low teacher / child ratios
- A child’s unique needs are the basis for experiences and activities.
- A child’s screening and assessment results are shared with families.
- Family and community input informs continuous center improvement.
Any preschool aged resident of Cuyahoga County can attend a UPK Preschool. Each program sets its own tuition amount, but Cuyahoga County can provide scholarship assistance to families earning up to 400 percent of the federal poverty level (for example: up to $106,000 annual income for a family of four.) Ask your selected UPK site for more information.
UPK and Families:
UPK has won five national awards for family engagement. Our sites work hard to provide the best in family centered care. A two-generation approach means that support is available for both your child AND you!
As a UPK parent, you will:
- partner with staff about your child’s care and education.
- receive frequent communications about your child’s progress.
- have opportunities to volunteer.
- learn about resources that will help prepare your child and your family for success.
- be able to join the conversation at Facebook.com/UPKFamilies and on twitter @UPKFamilies
Find a UPK Site:
Speak with a Family Resource Navigator TODAY! Let them know you want UPK!